Sunday 15 June 2014

Puddles from New York

Yesterday I got caught in a ridiculous downpour just as I was leaving the gallery I'm working at to run an 'errand'. In a very deja-vu-I-swear-I've-seen-this-in-the-movies scene I was down on 10th Ave in Chelsea at 6 o'clock rush hour, dressed in my nicest gallery outfit under an umbrella (rendered more or less useless) helplessly trying to hail a cab, which is impossible in New York in the pouring rain, utterly soaked, so that I could deliver this iPad to the gallerist at her apartment across town before she left for Art Basel in a couple of hours - when I arrived at her apartment in Soho I had to empty the water from my shoes and attempt to dry them out with newspaper. It was quite hilarious and distressing. I was standing on the street with my arm flailing about wishing a cab would pull over, thinking, if I weren't worried about actually trying to get anywhere right now I would be frickin LOVING this spontaneous bursting of the sky, I know I would be grinning my head off at the way the sky surprises constantly, and it is commanding and simply uncontrollable, we all must redirect our attention to it in such moments. But instead I at one point thought if it got much worse I might cry, it was such a hopeless scenario!

Anyway, today since the rain has cleared, there are puddles galore, and one must jump over them at the last minute to avoid getting a muddy shoe. Also in New York in the summer time there are so many puddles - all the airconditioning units drip puddles of water onto the street below. I remember last time I was here wanting to do something with them - collect the water, or make imprints of them, paintings out of them. They are like microcosms of New York filth, floating with bits of trash, leaves, cigarette buts, I always wonder how long those bits stay there fermenting after the rain in the humid New York air. There are a number of shots of puddles with such filthy 'treasure' in them in that Tarksovsky movie I mentioned in an older post, Stalker. Also drips.

Jessie I don't know if you've ever seen any of my paintings, but they are basically puddles of colour, that dry over a period of days and leave collected traces of the activity of the pigmented liquid on the absorbent paper. Here is a link to a tumblr of many of them, they are an ongoing series I call the Reservoir series.

I've been consumed in the last couple of weeks with a work I was making for an exhibition in Perth about endangered birds. It just opened on Thursday whilst I was sleeping - and came together with the amazing help of my various siblings and mum and the assistance of an old friend. It has been such a strange, rather stressful, but also kind of magical, experience to make a work remotely like that, and I am aware I'm about to do it all over again with Unkept (!) 

Anyway, the work for that show reminded me of your experiments with puddles, there are just some uncanny parallels between our practices! The work is probably best described in this article. The picture in the article doesn't show the work in progress, but here is an out of focus one that does - the glass has since been filled with the Indian Ocean and the pigment egg is slowly dissolving into liquid.



I played a lot with powdered pigments and binders and have spent a lot of time in my newly discovered favourite art supply store in New York, Kremer Pigments, talking to the pigment experts there. After years of being limited to the colours and consistencies available only in tubes of watercolour paint I could buy, it feels like a whole new world opened up to me since finding Kremer in terms of the potential to make my own composites and casting the pigment in different shapes (like the pigment egg I had my sister cast for this work). One thing I would eventually like to do is nest different colours as layers within the one cast - like a gobstopper. This seems to be kind of the opposite process to what you're working with, where you're adding pigments on top of each other to compose new layers, whereas my cast pigment would eventually dissolve/erode away to reveal new colours??? Anyway, I LOVE the idea of evapourated puddles and the traces of colour they might leave - like a ghost puddle.

Which resonates with yet another thing I have spent a lot of time thinking about lately in relation to this show and am hoping to work with - the idea of ghosts, ghosting, absences and presences... but I'll save that for another post.

I'm super excited about this work for you Jessie, and the continual connections we are discovering between our practices!

3 comments:

  1. This is a really exciting development in your work Claire. Congratulations on the success of your exhibition. It's a great write up! After reading the review I really really wanted to see your work. Sounds and yes, looks fascinating! I'd love to see it in the flesh too. It'll be interesting to see how the installation develops while the water continues to drip. I wonder if you could make a puddle work with the Tasman Sea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your paintings are beautiful Claire! How have you made the puddles of colour? Is it literally just lots of watercolour paint on a piece of paper?

    Your work in Perth is equally as exquisite - seeming simple but obviously much more complicated to put together than it looks! Like Polly I wish I could see it in person and I would love to see images of the paintings development if you are sent any at all. Thank goodness for supportive family! My youngest sister has always been my greatest assistant in projects...

    I'm intrigued by your pigment eggs/possible nests! I've just been adding colour to already existing puddles - food colouring and paint - experimenting with the amounts more so than anything. It has unfortunately not rained a lot in the last couple of weeks, only starting up again in the last couple of days, so my experimenting has been a bit lacking.

    I was initially thinking about layers upon layers of colour but now that I give it a bit more thought I am not so sure that would work - once the puddle fills up again the initial colour will surely be washed away?

    I think I need to think about creating my own puddles more, as you do Claire - giving me a bit more control over the process. I'm just so attached to working with what is already at a site that I am a bit slow in thinking about how to work with these ideas outside of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessie, yeah it's just watercolour paint mixed with water but in larger, pourable volumes, and then I pour them onto the paper ground. Usually I'll paint a wet circle first to contain the liquid, and then it's just a process of propping the edges up, tilting, watching, re-propping, re-tilting, blowing, adding extra water etc... they don't all turn out great, there are a lot of throwaways too. I'm undecided whether the circle form is restrictive or if it's the defining characteristic of the works, it's sort of both at once.

    It might be useful for you to look into watercolour techniques though, and the different mediums/binders that can be mixed with the pigment - maybe you'll find something that allows each layer to 'set'? Like a gum arabic...

    I think your attachment to working with what's already on site is really an important one to hold on to! It doesn't necessarily mean that the interventions you make can't be independent additions, but for me one of the crucial beauties of your work is the fact that at some point, there is a letting go, and a handing over to nature/chance. But what is so special about your work is how carefully and quietly you observe these chance processes, so in fact it is a restrained letting go, or rather a very fragile dialogue between you and the environment or whatever it is you are working with.

    ReplyDelete