Monday 9 June 2014

Leftover

I have always been attracted to the smaller, quieter and left behind things of this world.

In April this year I was married and as is usual speeches were given. Against tradition I asked my mother to speak on behalf of my side of the family. She talked about my character; how at eighteen months I didn’t respond to the name my parents had given me at birth and so they had to change it, about growing up in country S.A. free to explore and express myself and how travelling around the world since little had instilled confidence and ability to build relationships fast with anyone from a French baker to my art teacher. 

My mother shared, “I fondly treasure the love language we exchange in giving each other odd bits and bobs; special rocks, wild flowers, autumn leaves.” It’s true, almost everyday on my walk home from school I would find something small and precious for my mummy. It became a ritual for me to pick the tiniest pale pink rose bud that I could find (but only if there were more than 3 flowers on the bush) and put it in the tiniest vase on my mothers’ dressing table for her to find when she came home. To this day, I am still in the practice of finding precious treasures on my walks home or around the garden and putting together little displays. My kitchen windowsill is on a constant rotisserie of tiny found objects and fresh flower buds that bring me a smile whenever I do the dreaded washing up or make a cuppa tea.


As a child one of my favourite toys was a teddy bear called Leftover. He was a scruffy brown and white teddy bear, with small ears and a funny arm that dangled by a few loose threads. We got him from the local arts and crafts store, a favourite jaunt of ours, at the top of a hill in Whyalla. Leftover was in a bag with other teddies and dolls that were damaged or broken. Leftover’s left arm had fallen off and was loose in the bag of goodies. Most of the toys had a missing piece waiting to be mended and brought back to their former cuddly glory. 

Headless wasn’t so lucky though. Leftover and Headless became my favourite toys as a child. They always played significant roles at the lounge room tea parties and their attendance always invited lively conversation about how Headless had no need for tea and biscuits but enjoyed the party all the same. He was always there to  help Leftover pour his tea. 



Just yesterday, I gave my last soft toy to Vinnies, Wally (see pictured above). Another favourite growing up. Wally was a scruffy, flopping teddy who was a bit of a trouble-maker and gave particularly good cuddles. But as he always seemed to end up under the bed rather than on the bed I decided his hugs would be better served elsewhere. I do quite love this photograph though. 

All this seems significant as I prepare for a show that is essentially derived from taking unnoticed, found and left behind materials and not only drawing attention to these often 'unseen' elements of everyday life but somehow revelling in their ordinariness. Somehow not ordinary anymore. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful story Polly!
    Its funny, I never had very strong attachments to soft toys as a kid. My sisters (all of them I think) had something that they couldn't sleep without, that was permanently by their sides, but I never did. I had a collection of toys that if you asked were my favourites but when push came to shove, I probably wouldn't have noticed if you took them away.
    I did have a green Care Bear with the moon and sun/star on his belly that I'll admit I loved though. I remember one day the stitching on the picture came undone in a section or part of it was damaged somehow. My mum or one of my grandma's offered to fix it and I was hesitant, not wanting it to look 'different' than before. Eventually they convinced me to let them mend it and when I got him back a few days later I was devastated because it wasn't perfect - there was a crinkle in the image and part of the sun/star was missing!
    Now, that is exactly the type of thing I would aim for. Looking at it, it's pretty minor, like a scar in the loving of that guy. Whoever fixed him did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't remember specific attachments to toys that much, although there is a story my family loves to tell about the one childhood soft toy I did form a bit of a bond with - Humphrey B Bear. He traveled with me to Europe when I was 2, and as the story goes, we were in France, leaving a boat/ship, in a taxi with my parents trying to direct the driver in French when I realised I had left Humphrey behind on the boat. Apparently I was attached enough that my parents understood it was pretty important for us to find that bear - I must've been upset?? So they grappled in their beginner's French to tell the taxi driver to turn around and go back to the boat so that we could retrieve Humphrey. The taxi driver was incredulous that we were returning just for this bear. Suffice to say that after much to-ing and fro-ing and I'm sure confusion and frustration, I was in the end reunited with the bear...

    So that's my Unkept take on a treasure left behind. The misplaced, the uneasy feeling of absence; and reclamation, being reunited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. I love how you both began your stories with a 'I didn't have a strong attachment to a bear', which then turned into the tale of how losing/changing that bear caused distress for you both.
    I'm interested in how the attachments that we form at a young age say a lot about our character. It doesn't surprise me that Jessie can a Care Bear and Claire had a Humphrey B Bear and I had a Wally.

    ReplyDelete