Monday 31 March 2014

Thoughts Claire -> Polly 17/03

I've been trying to think about what I know of the courtyard having spent a lot of time in and around it whilst invigilating the gallery on a quiet sunday afternoon, or coming out to have lunch. It is such a hotspot for activity - it's basically the only sunny area in the immediate vicinity of the gallery, and when the building gets so cold it's the best place to be - but its very elusive. I'm thinking about how to harness or track the light somehow. All very vague. But the thing with that is that (particularly in July!) the courtyard also becomes such a vortex - there are little twisters with leaves and wind that whip up in there when it's cold. And then of course it rains.
...
Thinking about reflections, blurrings, how to un-keep a site, how to un-see a familiar site, how to bring these little things to the surface a bit more but find a way to make space for all these elemental shifts, not just one but many - I want it to be 'working' all the time.
...
I'm no so inclined to re-create anything as such, but perhaps find a way to translate or syphon that experience of outside in a distilled form inside. I like the idea that the audience can then be engaged in this observation - like a choose your own adventure, a kind of question/game to the viewer, or just a handing over of responsibility to them to log and capture and document the activity in that space over the duration of the exhibition.
...
I am very interested in this kind of blurred reflection (below), rather than crisp pools of light. Thinking about how to achieve that... I've also been thinking about the roof!



p.s. this photo is from my Fieldwork NYC blog I kept last year
(Jessie - ok so this blog is another exception to my avoid-photography rule...)

No comments:

Post a Comment