Sunday 30 March 2014

From Claire 19/03:

 Hi guys,

Great to hear about your work Jessie!

That's interesting you came to work with rainbow colours because all other combos seemed to mainly remind you of sport - I seem to remember a similar experience with all those colour options and decision making. I love the idea that choosing rainbow really just is a way of avoiding making a different kind of choice. It's like the inclusive choice... I used to answer "the rainbow" when asked what's my favourite colour (and in fact still did until my exes kids were quite unsatisfied with that response and pressed me harder for a real decision! - I finally settled on yellow).

and now that I think about it, I am notoriously indecisive, which maybe accounts for the appeal of rainbow colours to me! Are you indecisive Jessie?!

Interesting that we both resist the impulse to photograph, but still receive them from other people. Although admittedly I have thrown caution to the wind and begun documenting light around the house for instagramming purposes, which often is most exciting to me when you get the chromatic separation thing going on around the shadows, I usually try to avoid the photograph as a tool for making work about such things, hence the voice recordings. I do make video though so maybe that's contradictory. I guess overall I try to install the video in a way that gives that moment (the corners of the mouth turning up, the little jump in the heart) back to the viewer, not through the document or the representation (maybe that's just a prompt) but in their live/direct encounter with the work, whatever that may involve.

I don't know if I always am able to achieve that, but it's definitely something I think about a lot. And if I can't achieve it then I guess hopefully the work points to the failure of the work to do that in a kind of amusing way. I want to say slapstick, but it's a super subtle slapstick if anything..

What do you call that moment you're trying to create in your work Jessie? I feel like it's a similar moment to the one I have in mind when I make my work too. 

Alright I'm writing this on the train and gotta get off but as a parting note, I thought this favourite mug of my dad's was relevant:

No comments:

Post a Comment